The Global Education Conference was held on June 18-19, 2015 at Towson University. The conference was intended to build connections among international educators across the Alliance and to encourage future cooperation. Sessions focused on topics relevant to all areas of international education, including education abroad, international student services, ESL instruction, international research, and international program management. A keynote address was delivered by Brad Farnsworth, assistant vice president of the Center for Internationalization and Global Engagement at the American Council for Education.
Nearly 80 participants attended the Global Education Conference, with representation from the College of Charleston, Elon University, James Madison University, University of North Carolina Wilmington, Towson University, and the College of William & Mary. Attendees from local or regional institutions made up about a third of the conference participants. Six corporate sponsors also served as exhibitors at the event; in total, these sponsorships raised $2,375 in support of the conference.
The Global Education Conference was made possible by leadership from the Towson University planning team, made up of members of the TU Provosts’ Office and TU International Initiatives Office:
- Maggie Reitz, Interim Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Saleha Suleman, Assistant Vice President for International Initiatives
- Elizabeth Shearer, Director of Study Abroad
- Gail Gibbs, Director of the International Study and Scholar Office
- Scott Pearson, International Partnerships Director
- Lynda Mermell, Director of the English Language Center
The International Initiatives Office also coordinated all of the facilities planning and provided invaluable staffing support throughout the conference.